Sunday, April 18, 2010

What a beauty...

This is my new pincushion. Isn't she perfect? 


I was just a little thrilled when I received my swap package on late Friday afternoon and saw the sender's address: the textured leaf. Wendy's blog drew me in a little while back with her beautiful op-shop-chic, and the pincushion she has made for me - yes, for ME, hurrah!! - is sublime. (You can find some more detailed pictures on her blog here) .

My pincushion has already been employed this weekend, distracting me with its gorgeousness - oh, and doing a fine job of holding pins of course - while I've been sewing up a little stash of coffee-sack 'clutter buckets' for swaps and gifts.


I love that this pincushion has a pleasingly functional chunkiness, meaning that I'm no longer being lacerated the long pins which used to poke through the bottom of my last one.

 However, it is a triumph of function AND beauty, which is important in my flat as I basically make my sewing notions earn their keep as objets d'art among the books, in our dining/lounge/sewing/living/room: 

Thanks Wendy.
Thanks Kate.
I hope my pincushion (sent a few weeks ago) is received with as much enthusiasm - but if not, oh well, I got my dream version!!!

21 comments:

  1. that's really beautiful with the blue embroidery.
    Chunky is good..think the person recieving mine will get speared through the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely. I loved that swap! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, what a fine pincushion, lucky you. Hope yours turns up with a happy recipient soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's so beautiful, lots of pincushions popping up everywhere now

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely. I know there's a swap on bit it is still kind of funny (in a laughy not sarcastic way) seeing pincushions from one blog turn up on another one. Rather sad that you haven't heard about the safe arrival of yours yet. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that is is also a work of art and lives on the book shelf!! Perfect!! Gotta love a great swap partner.. now I am off to check out Wendy's blog... tip toe, tip toe... sshhh

    xo Steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous and she has a beautiful blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like them a bit chunky too , harder for me to lose ! Yours is just lovely .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pin cushion is lovely - lucky duck! I haven't got mine yet, but hopefully this week - very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one magnificent pincushion with may hours of faithful service ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a SUPER gorgeous creation which has clearly found a very loving home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely, nothing is better than embroidery on linen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how lovely, so oldy worldy. I can understand why you are so thrilled. A handmade treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very lovely. And it's pretty enough to be displayed in your living room indeed. I love it when our functional objects are pretty too. Secretly that's one of my goals: To make everything, even the oddest things, around me pretty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE IT!!!! you are one lucky chicken!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So gorgeous. This pin cushion swap has been so fabulous to watch. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is just lovely! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky lucky lucky you!
    That pin cushion is one of my favourites which is really saying something because there are so many beautiful ones on show at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how big it is. It's fabulous. The embroidery is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
~Albert Einstein