Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Very Significant Refashion

I love a good refashion.


Of all the projects that I've done in my year of blogging, its the ones that take old stuff and give it new life that I feel most thrilled about. And in spite of the fact that I have lovely new materials to play with, and various from-scratch projects planned, I continue to find myself distracted by the large pile of unloved clothing and discarded fabrics that are sitting patiently in the corner of my bedroom, waiting to be renewed.



Today my family and I are celebrating something that is at the absolute heart of who we are: the resurrection of Jesus. Or, as I have taken to calling it around this household - no doubt offending Christians AND Refashionistas around the world -  The Great Refashion.

You might wonder how the rumours of a dead preacher guy coming alive in the Middle East two millenia ago can have any bearing on our lives today. I'm not here to convince you that it happened - that's for you to weigh up for yourself. Over a decade ago, I (rather reluctantly) decided that the evidence was compelling enough, and chucked my lot in with the disciples. I believe.

But what I believe is about so much more than just Jesus getting a shiny refashioned body (bully for him, you might think). According to Jesus' own teachings, his resurrection is to give the rest of us hope, proof, a down-payment if you will, of the reality that one day his Father, the Creator, is going to take this broken world that he loves and give the whole thing new life. 

Imagine... a renewed earth. One with restored beauty, harmony, peace, meaning, creativity. One where injustice, pollution, illness, even death, have no place any more. 

Sounds pretty good to me. My husband jokes that his big question about this refashioned world is whether I'll finally have time to complete my pile of refashioning projects... or whether they'll be made redundant! I prefer the theory that there will just be even more time to amass works-in-progress...and no deadlines :)

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away...
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”



24 comments:

  1. Happy Easter Gina!
    Like your perspective on Easter as the Great Refashion. I like to think of Easter as a celebration of new life - of all that is fresh and budding in the world, of new chances, new opportunities and new hope. Never really related it to sewing before so I thank you muchly for this... and in honor of The Great Refashion I am now going to drag myself out of bed and head to the sewing machine to do some refashioning on this special day.
    Much love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Gina. I'm not Christian myself, but I do like to hear what others believe and how Easter can be explained as a "celebration". It does seem to me strange to take Jesus' death as a time of celebration, I found this post very interesting as well, check it out http://cfhusband.blogspot.com/2010/04/very-good-friday.html, I found it to be a great explanation.
    Have a great day Gina!

    Selina xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter from a non Christian too. Hi Selina!! Doesn't stop me from enjoying everyone else's take on Easter time.
    I'll leave you with what my youngest child, aged 6 thinks we're celebrating . . . "when God crawled out from under a rock to go on an Easter Egg hunt" so i hope you can get a giggle from that. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your refashioning work - the patchwork bag is one of my favourites! I hope you enjoy this time - I like that blogland is full of allsorts - it makes it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is lovely to hear someone acknowledge the real purpose for Jesus coming to earth. No other human has already had such an impact on so many (laws, dates, 'civilisation, etc). It is only sad that the celebration of his great sacrifice which paves the way to the redemption of mankind, has to be associated with pagan celebrations that he would have strenuously objected to. What a grand refashioning will soo come and I agree that it will be wonderful to feel no pressure and just think of the perfection of the work we will be able to learn and accomplish. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The resurrection and refashioning - a very crafty Easter message Gina! Wishing you and your family Easter blessings. Liesl x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to eternity with no illness with you Gina (particularly no children with ds and vs!). I anticipate that you will not be dissatisfied, however it turns out with regards to your refashioning projects. He knew what He was doing when He made you with all your gifts and things that make you happy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post, Gina. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Easter to all. Have a lovely Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time I have ever thought about the fulfillment of the Christian hope as the great refashion! Having fun mulling that over. I appreciate this post on so many levels. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your view of the renewed world. SOunds like my kind of plce!

    Happy Easter to you and your family, Gna!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I mean "GINA".

    I really must stop pressing PUBLISH befre I make sure I pressed the keyboard keys hard enough. More speed, less haste, as my mother used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing the True meaning of Easter.
    Will see you there.
    Jane 80)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a lovely way of thinking about easter! you really make me grin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thoughtful post, Gina, happily crafting and enjoying all that life offers while knowing that true perfection awaits us in Heaven. Happy Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you, your beloved and your boys had a wonderful day together Gina. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful post Gina. I really love 'The Great Refashion". Happy Easter to you and your family my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Easter to you and your family Gina! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that's the most lovely way that I've ever heard Easter described. I grew up Catholic (and still am) but I questioned and hovered a bit for a while. I like to have faith that there's a bigger picture. Far far bigger than us mere mortals know of. Happy Easter to all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amen to that! I'm a Christian, but I'd never thought of the resurrection as a great refashion. But it is! You are so right.

    Hope you're have a wonderful Easter with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, you sure know how to put a crafty spin on things! I'm big grinning in a still wavering but interested to hear sort of fashion...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha, I had NO idea when I read the post title and saw the pic what the meat of the post would turn out to be. Loved it! Thanks for putting it out there!

    And your man poses an interesting question! Til we get THERE, I needed to do something HERE. Recently posted about my new plan for getting projects done: "I won't start one til two are done." : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this Gina - everything about it. I'm rather quiet in my Christianity and I love that you've written so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  23. now this is re-freshing. play on words intended.
    what was coming to mind as I was reading this was.
    "Whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come"

    we, as believers, are being refashioned. huh!

    (found you from the good deed over at Thornbury.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post! Still smiling at the idea of 'The Great Refashion'

    ReplyDelete

“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
~Albert Einstein