Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Confessions of an Eco-Jerk... advanced warning.

I'm going to start a little regular segment for myself (and of course for YOU, my massive readership) looking at an aspect of life from an ethical/'green' perspective. But before diving right in I thought I'd do a bit of an overview of my content, approach and perspective.

You may have started to notice that I'm a little structure-obsessed.

Anyhoo...

Content
I plan to take a particular item (e.g paper, plastic bags, sewing fabrics), or sometimes a broader category or concept (e.g. eating, cleaning, consumerism) and talk about how I'm currently approaching it. I may add some links and resources. I'll probably list some personal goals in the area, or a few how-to-do-better options. I'll also be asking for tips, comments, and perhaps guest appearances from people who know and do more!

Approach - from the confessional, not the soapbox
I'll be starting from the basis of my own experience, with warts-and-all confessions about what we are or are not doing at home. Why? Because this is reality, and in reality I'm still a bit of an eco-jerk! Cynicism and laziness get in the way of good intentions. So to avoid hypocrisy, I'll be honest about where we're at. Furthermore, I think there's enough 'eco-guilt' out there, and we all know that guilt is not a great motivator. I'm far more encouraged by seeing someone's small steps than by reading a list of lofty ideals.


Perspective
I'm sure my perspective will emerge as I go - it's still evolving anyway. There is one major thing to note though. My desire to live and consume more thoughtfully does not spring from a belief that I, or we, can save the world. I believe the earth's future is in the safe hands of its Creator. But we are the earth's appointed caretakers, and frankly we've done a cruddy job, and I'm taking some ownership. Hopefully on this point, my actions will be at least as loud as my words.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm about to follow your blog because the combo of crafty goodness and some eco-talk is right up my alley.

    I like the sound of what's in your Content there. I think it's easy to be consumed by eco-guilt where it becomes an all or nothing approach, and that generally doesn't work, so smaller steps is definitely logical.

    ReplyDelete

“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
~Albert Einstein