Saturday, April 11, 2009

The joy of new things

Who knew the satisfaction that would come from turning this:
into THIS?
I was skeptical of my abilities to make my own binding tape, but in the interests of learning something new, using what I already have, and creating joyful chaos in our little house, I went ahead. And, yeah yeah, just like everyone said, it ain't that hard.  I decided to make straight rather than bias binding, mostly because I wanted to preserve a little of the linen I was hacking into to make something pretty (scarf or softie, can't decide). 

3 comments:

  1. once you start makig binding, you just can't stop!

    & yep, i used iron on interfacing on the buckets to give them some structure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. considering I'm totally addicted to bias (kinda like the song) I have not yet made any to use (except in a quilt once....straight bias...felt like cutting strips really).

    Considering I keep seeing it made everywhere AND I have all the tools necessary I should give it a go.

    Hobart places to check out (note: this list is heavily biased by having to drag 2 kids around most of the time)

    * Salamanca market....yes (lots of junk but gems to be found also)
    * Love & Clutter (little shop in town)
    * the "Tip Shop"...they have an outlet along Elizabeth St (called the 'Resource Collective' I think...all stuff from the tip....never know what you might find)
    * Botanical Gardens...inspiration for the veggie garden or just for a place to loll about on a sunny Autumn day.
    *The Flower Room (run by a bunch of Grannies, mostly flowers from their gardens, eggs & jams)...there was a great little shop next door but I haven't been upstairs for a while now). This is if you just happen to be passing, not one to seek out...very old school Tas!

    No little markets to check out that I know of while you're here. Have a great visit, who knows you may get some snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to know what a softie is!!

    ReplyDelete

“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
~Albert Einstein