Saturday, March 20, 2010

Putting a hex on your pincushion

No, I'm not referring back to this brilliant act of crafty voodoo. I'm playing with some hexagons for Kate's mammoth pincushion swap.

I have so many ideas in my head for making a little pincushion... As usual I'm jumping in without a clear design, but after checking out the 'creative vibe' of my (to-remain-anonymous) swap partner, these last precious scraps of Aunty Cookie are speaking to me:


I've played with hexagon paper piecing before and hope to do a fair bit more, so I treated myself to a little product which might just cut out my least favourite part, the initial shape basting. 

Now I just need to think about size, shape, design, filling and so forth, and I'll be able to get making!

Everything other craft project I have on the go is turning out to be a bit of a slow burn, so my intention is to make this one a project of the more short-and-sweet variety.

So please, no hexing my pincushion, ok?

16 comments:

  1. Hex on your hexagons, love it!! The pin cushions are going to be incredible. The effort sounds ace. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant title - got me in for sure. Now I can't wait to see the finished result (hopefully not cursed)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Its perfect! Love your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very clever - I've never done that before. Love your colour choices! Nic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going for the simple and elegant pincushion... its all planned in my head. I am nervous about the stuffing...how do I make it that hard?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What partner wouldn't be happy with Cookie and hexes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh oh! That glue marker looks great! I am in the end throes of a massive hexagon quilt, and I just cant face the idea of any more thread basting ... will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh, nice!
    it's all planned in my head aswell like Cath...let's see what happens from there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good..I'm yet to get started on mine.
    Can't wait to see your finished number.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh a new gadget that I've never seen before!
    Yours is looking lovely already.
    I started mine yesterday before taking that important step of checking my partners blog.... whoops, back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make me chuckle. Thank you!!!
    Loving your hexagons. So cute. Your recipent will be one lucky crafter.
    I have just been scouting out the blog of the person I am creating for - one very eclectic crafter. May a lightning bolt of inspiration hit me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems there will be no such thing as a plain old pincushion anymore, thanks to Kate's swap. Looking forward to seeing what hexciting thing you're creating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So allergic am I to sewing at the moment, I am eying that glue with one raised brow (and I can't do raised eyebrow in the singular). Do we think it would hold a skirt together in a stiff wind?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a good start! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so...did you get me? did ya, did ya? xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great - I have no idea what basting is ... is that wrong??

    ReplyDelete

“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
~Albert Einstein