Thursday, March 11, 2010

My creative space... portable therapy

My creative space today needs to be portable, therapeutic and able to accomodate a distracted mind.


Today, I will be sitting for a few hours in hospital while my wee Charlie boy undergoes a small procedure to open his blocked tear ducts. It's very unclomplicated and very painless - we've been through it before for William - but it does require a general anaesthetic. Now I'm the type of (relaxed? overly casual?!) mama who applauds or rolls her eyes when her boys take a tumble, who says 'pick yourself up sweetie' when they fall, and who made inappropriate jokes with the anaesthetist about finally getting some peace when we went through this last time. But oh, there will be something so heart-stopping about holding my baby while he breathes in the gas and watching that little body go limp and be wheeled away for his "big adventure". I know he'll be fine, but there will be an appropriate lump in my throat all the same.

I have a variety of hand-sewing projects on the go, which are both portable and therapeutic but require some measure of concentration and accuracy, which I know I won't possess. Thankfully, a recent addition to my works-in-progress list has been my floral scrap yo-yo project.


So today, I'm grateful for
my large Clover yo-yo maker
the stack of Japanese craft books that arrived in yesterday's mail, just in time
my basket of wonderful floral scraps
 and craft that helps the time go by.


More spaces at Kirsty's house...

30 comments:

  1. Sending big love and happy thoughts. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no shoes on, what do you mean, you like them?!
    Good luck today Gina, generals and kids shouldn't mix, should they.
    that top book- I have just borrowed it from our library- it's great, but I have to get my head around the instructions.
    Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. all the best wishes to you and your boys today, happy crafting, it is good to have something to do with your hands. Keeps you busy and not worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise that was today. I'll be praying for you all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for portable craft and things that help waiting pass with joy!! am praying xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep. I know that moment. The throat lump is utterly unavoidable. Wishing you great crafting peace of mind and preparation for any scream down the house, coming-out-of-anaesthetic with a vengeance moments(!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your little boy is fine, love your crafting.
    Have fun with those japanese craft books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best for the little man. I don't envy you. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope everything goes well and thinking of you. xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww baby boy... warm thoughts heading your way!! I think the yo yo maker is a perfect choice!! Mine is somewhere... I think Bear was last using it as a Frisbee... hmmm I must stop letting him do that! But it does a really good job!!

    xo Steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate that moment...we have been through 3 generals with Alfie and it never gets any easier.

    Good luck x K

    ReplyDelete
  12. eeek, can feel your anxiety. fingers crossed for you and your boy.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope all goes well with your little man's op. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the best for William, sounds like you'll be sorted in the bedside crafting department!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful yo yos, and best wishes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A yo yo maker is my portable craft of choice too. I hope the day passed painlessly enough for all of you. Much love, Lauren. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Gina - that is scary. I'm a tough-love kind of mum too but whenever my girls have been really hurt I'm a fierce protector... I'd need all that kit too. Hope it all went smoothly. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Gina - I hope today went well - I know exactly how you feel. Glad you had some nice distractions - craft is tops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's certainly one moment you never forget. I hope it went smoothly and easily and by now that lump is a memory and the yoyos are awaiting being sewn onto something fabulous, a new apron perhaps? X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great to meet you tonight Gina - see you soon x

    ReplyDelete
  21. xxx - so hate that. Caleb had to go under the general once and it was horrid as I had to hold him down. Hope the busy hands helped and the cuddles always do a world of good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yup, I know that moment. Best wishes to you and your boys today. Hope your little boy is fine, love your crafting.Your crafting is really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. eep! Poor little Charlie, sending lots of love your way. Those yoyos are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. HOpe all went smoothly yesterday!
    I really enjoy reading your blog and love all the wonderful yo yos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Poor little darling... and you too. Praying all will be well soon x
    Finn had blocked tear ducts for a few months but thankfully they unblocked themselves.
    I posted my sketchy thread stitching birdy skirt.
    Oh and I love those pretty flowery yo-yos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hoping all went seamlessly, Gina, and that both you and your little guy have recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  27. how's your little man Gina?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'll strive to be as relaxed as you but I think I'll be more the panicky, freak-out type of ma. How do you make those gorgeous yoyos? I need to learn - they'd come in so handy for the wedding! xxx

    ReplyDelete

“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
~Albert Einstein