Thursday, July 16, 2009

My creative space... advice sought

Thursday again (wow, it's like it happens every week!) and I'm off to join in Kootoyoo's Creative Spaces. I'm hoping that other 'spacers' this week might be willing to put their creative thoughts into mine...

Today I'm hanging out in my bedroom with Mrs D, my DIY mannequin. Together we're putting our heads (?) together over how to refashion a thrifted cotton drill skirt, with minimum effort and technical skills.
The yoke and side-zip already fit me well at the waist (better than Mrs D actually - boy she should really lose some weight!) so I want to keep those elements of the skirt.
Things that I'd like to work on are:
  1. the weight of the material - I think some heavier material or added layers would help add structure and get rid of some of the flare and ripple that occurs around the hem line. Plus make it wearable for cooler weather.
  2. The icky details - seams down front, back and two sides (which add to the kind of warped hem look) and big pockets on either side (which emphasise Mrs D's saddlebags!)
  3. The colour/texture - a good base colour but a bit bland and pale for me.
My thoughts so far have revolved around some type of semi-attached overskirt or apron which might help skim over the shape, cover most of the details and add some weight and colour/texture.
Maybe attached to one side, then tied up over the zipper?
Or attached at the back, and tied at the front?

Do you have comments or suggestions? A completely different idea, or some advice on the idea I have?

I've asked Mrs D's opinion, but - between you and me - she's a bit of a dummy.

18 comments:

  1. Sorry, no suggestions re: the skirt but I love the jumper refashion in the post below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a piece of pippijoe daises here 55cm x 29 cm panel left over and some light weight denim if that would help, I love the wrap effect on the first one but would love to see a bit more color. I'm happy to post it to you as a gift. You can see the pippijoe (another piece) on my blog a the moment look for the "Oxfam Chook" LOL It will make sense when you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the panel at the front effect. Love this idea too - a real-time creative space with the spacers creating ideas/suggestions! So cool - you are so now Gina! :) K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gina. Thanks for your kind, most recent comment.

    Now, as for your skirt - I think the idea of an apron/over-wrap thingy whatcha-ma-callit is spot on. I particularly like the darker, floral fabric in the bottom photo - nice balance with the dark jacket. If you make the ties long enough you can choose where to tie them, back, front or side. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the layering-effect. There are so many possibilities when you use layers. You can add them under, over, a-symmetric, divided in the middle, wrapping all around or just in the back.... I like the flowers you combined with the drill skirt!

    And Gina, she may be a bit of a dummy, I bet your mrs. D is an angel when it comes to patience, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ideas, it is so cool. The whole combination looks fantastic and I like the layering effect too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry Gina I have no suggestions, I like your ideas of the wrap though and can't wait to see what you come up with! great help aren't I??!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the single panel attached at the side - but do have a bias for asymmetry... Just to throw in something different that might not be right for this project, I loved this embroidery and tuckingness on a similar skirt by Sooz - http://www.flickr.com/photos/31214250@N00/3479193732/ - and I saw something similar somewhere with appliqued circles meandering diagonally up the skirt - reminiscent of a certain favourite bubble scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the look of the darker floral. Does the fabric have a bit of weight? You are so encouraging in your refashioning. It is making me want to hit the second hand shops over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay to layers. Yay to nothing centred or symmetrical (that's why we had to have a third child). Unfortunately I can't help you with any know how because you have inflicted embroidery tunnel vision upon me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. I wouldn't ask Mrs D, she will have you stuffed, I mean, stumped...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I rather like the lighter colour fabric attached at one side it complements the skirt well

    ReplyDelete
  13. oo, I like the first side panle look the best, but maybe with a stronger colour?
    Take my advice with a grain of salt thought Gina, I dress like a bag lady !

    ReplyDelete
  14. To add some weight and colour, you could line it with a heavy weight coloured/patterned fabric then cut out shapes to see the colour (sort of reverese applique)...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forgot to add that I love your apron idea and think you are amazing that you can see beyond what is in front of you.... you give hope to old clothes and to daggy old me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so clever! Any of the fabric options would work. What did you with Mrs D's head? Sorry, couldn't resist....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I'm liking exhibit A, but perhaps the fabric isn't 100% right? Maybe too pale for you ggoing by your comment in the post about pale fabrics....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry, I have no sewing advice to offer, I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl in the sew department... BUT, I can offer Miss D counselling (that is a friendly ear, although I figure she's a little reserved and I'll end up doing all the talking) I think she may have developed some issues. Anyway leave it to me! : D

    ReplyDelete

“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
~Albert Einstein